Undergraduate student authors underlined
Graduate students are in green
In preparation and under review
50. G. Chandel, J. Sun, S. Etha, B. Zhao, V.S. Sivasankar, S. Nikfarjam, M. Wang, D. Hines, A. Dasgupta, T.J. Woehl, S. Das,* "Direct Visualization of Nanoparticle Morphology in Sintered Nanoparticle Ink Traces and the Relationship Between Nanoparticle Morphology, Incomplete Polymer Removal, and Trace Conductivity," Under review.
49. Y. Wang, D. Rastogi, J. Sun, K. Malek, A. Asa-Awuku, T.J. Woehl,* "Nanometer scale visualization of electric field induced water condensation," In preparation.
48. M. Rath, A. Fear, T.J. Woehl,* S. Raghavan,* "Multicomponent Hydrogel Capsules Exhibiting Reversible Temperature-Induced Pearlescence," In preparation.
47. B. Zhao, V. S. Sivasankar, S. K. Subudhi, S. Sinha, S. Nikfarjam, T. J. Woehl, S. Das, "Three-Dimensional Deposits from Drying Particle-Laden Drops," Under review.
46. S. Nikfarjam, R. Gibbons, M. Erdi, T.J. Woehl,* "Dissipative assembly of protein hydrogels mediated by redox cycles and protein folding," In preparation.
45. M. Licausi, S. Nikfarjam, A. Vervier, T.J. Woehl,* "Hyperspectral interferometric scattering microscopy of albumin-bound paclitaxel nanoparticles," In preparation.
44. J. Sun, A. Leff, Y. Li, T.J. Woehl,* "Unraveling formation mechanisms of high entropy alloy nanoparticles with liquid phase transmission electron microscopy," In preparation.
43. T.U. Dissanayake, J. Hughes, T.J. Woehl,* "Interparticle interactions underlying dissipative colloidal assembly," In preparation.
Published and In Press
42. M. Wang, C. Park, T.J. Woehl,* "Real-Time Imaging of Metallic Supraparticle Assembly during Nanoparticle Synthesis," Nanoscale, 2022, 14, 312-319. Link.
41. M. Rath, J. Weaver, M. Wang, T.J. Woehl,* "pH mediated aggregation to separation transition for colloids near electrodes in oscillatory electric fields," Langmuir, 2021, 37, 9346-9355. Link.
40. T.U. Dissanayake, M. Wang, T.J. Woehl,* "Visualizing electron beam reactions with nanoparticle capping ligands during liquid phase scanning transmission electron microscopy," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2021, 13, 37553-37562. Link.
39. Meng Ding, Shuo Li, Lu Guo, Lin Jing, Si-Ping Gao, Haitao Yang, Joshua M. Little, T.U. Dissanayake, Kerui Li, Jie Yang, Yong-Xin Guo, Hui Ying Yang, T.J. Woehl, Po-Yen Chen,* "Metal Ion-Induced Assembly of MXene Aerogels via Biomimetic Microtextures for Electromagnetic Interference Shielding, Capacitive Deionization, and Microsupercapacitors," Advanced Energy Materials, 2021, 11, 2101494. Link.
38. M. Wang, A. Leff, Y. Li, T.J. Woehl,* "Visualizing ligand-mediated bimetallic nanocrystal formation pathways with liquid phase transmission electron microscopy," ACS Nano, 2021, 15, 2578-2588. Link. See press releases at phys.org and nanowerk.com.
37. S. Nikfarjam, E. V. Jouravleva, M.A. Anisimov, T.J. Woehl, "Effects of Protein Unfolding on Aggregation and Gelation in Lysozyme Solutions," Biomolecules, 2020, 10, 1262. Link.
36. T.J. Woehl,* T. Moser, J.E. Evans, F.M. Ross, "Electron beam-driven chemical processes during liquid-phase transmission electron microscopy," MRS Bulletin, 2020, 45, 746-753. Link.
35. T.J. Woehl,* "Nanocrystal Formation during Liquid Phase Transmission Electron Microscopy: Thermodynamics and Kinetics of Precursor Conversion, Nucleation, and Growth," Chemistry of Materials,
34. N. Wong, N.V. Uchida, T.U. Dissanayake, M. Iqbal, M. Patel, T.J. Woehl,* "Detection and Sizing of Sub-Micron Particles in Biologics with Interferometric Scattering Microscopy," Journal of Pharmaceutical Science, 2020, 109, 881-890. Link.
33. T.J. Woehl,* "Refocusing In situ Electron Microscopy: Moving Beyond Visualization of Nanoparticle Self-Assembly to Gain Practical Insights into Advanced Material Fabrication," ACS Nano, 2019, 13, 12272-12279. (Invited perspective) Link.
32. S. Nikfarjam, M. Ghorbani, S. Adhikari, A.J. Karlsson, E.V. Jouravleva, T.J. Woehl,* M.A. Anisimov,* "Irreversible Nature of Mesoscopic Aggregates in Lysozyme Solution," Colloid Journal, 2019, 81, 546-554. Link.
31. L. Torres, J. Daristotle, O. Ayyub, B.M. Bellato, A. Margaronis, H. Garimella, S. Seifert, N.M. Bedford, T.J. Woehl, P. Kofinas, "Structurally Colored Protease Responsive Nanoparticle Hydrogels with Degradation-Directed Assembly," Nanoscale, 2019, 11, 17904-17912. Link.
30. M. Wang, T.U. Dissanayake, C. Park, K. Gaskell, T.J. Woehl,* "Nanoscale mapping of non-uniform heterogeneous nucleation kinetics mediated by surface chemistry," Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2019, 141, 13516-13524. Link.
See press releases at Nanowerk and phys.org.
29. Y. Wu, S. Holdren, Y. Zhang; S. C. Oh, D. T. Tran, L. Emdadi, Z. Lu, M. Wang, T. J. Woehl, M. Zachariah, Y. Lei, D. Liu, "Quantification of Rhenium Oxide Dispersion on Zeolite: Effect of Zeolite Acidity and Mesoporosity," Journal of Catalysis, 2019, 372, 128-141. Link.
28. M.J. Young, T. Kiryutina, N.M. Bedford, T.J. Woehl, C.U. Segre, "Anion Insertion Electrochemistry in Layered Cobalt Hydroxide," Scientific Reports, 2019, 9, 2462. Link.
27. X. Han, M. Wang, M.L. Le, N.M. Bedford, T.J. Woehl, V.S. Thoi, "Effects of Substrate Porosity in Copper-loaded Carbon Aerogels for Selective Electrocatalytic Carbon Dioxide Reduction," Electrochimica Acta, 2019, 297, 545-552. Link.
26. M. Wang, C. Park, T.J. Woehl,* "Quantifying the Nucleation and Growth Kinetics of Electron Beam Nanochemistry with Liquid Cell Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy," Chemistry of Materials, 2018, 30, 7727-7736. Link.
25. J. Zhang, Z. Lu, W. Wu, D. T. Tran, W. Shang, H. Chen, Y. Lei, Z. Lie, M. Wang. T. J. Woehl, D. Liu, "Mesopore differences between pillared lamellar MFI and MWW zeolites probed by atomic layer deposition of titania and consequences on photocatalysis" Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2018, 276, 260-269.
24. A. Ferrick, M. Wang, T.J. Woehl,* "Direct Visualization of Planar Assembly of Plasmonic Nanoparticles Adjacent to Electrodes in Oscillatory Electric Fields," Langmuir, 2018, 34, 6237-6248. Link
23. A.E. Sikaroudi, D.A. Welch, T.J. Woehl, R. Faller, J.E. Evans, N.D. Browning, C. Park, "Directional Statistics of Preferential Orientations of Two Shapes in Their Aggregate and its Application to Nanoparticle Aggregation," Technometrics, 2018, 1-13. Link
22. T.J. Woehl†,* and P. Abellan†, "Defining the Radiation Chemistry during Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy to Enable Visualization of Nanoparticle Growth and Degradation Dynamics," Journal of Microscopy, 2017, DOI: 10.111/jmi.12508. Link. (Invited review article) (†Equal author contribution)
Prior to University of Maryland
21. H. Ramezani-Dakhel, N.M. Bedford, T.J. Woehl, M.R. Knecht, R. Naik, and H. Heinz, "Nature of Peptide Wrapping onto Metal Nanoparticle Catalysts and Driving Forces for Size Control," Nanoscale, 2017,9, 8401-8409. Link
20. S. Candelaria, N.M. Bedford, T.J. Woehl, N. Rentz, A. Showalter, S. Pylypenko, B. Bunker, S. Lee, B. Reinhart, Y. Ren, S. Ertem, B.E. Coughlin, N. Sather, J. Horan, A. Herring, L. Greenlee, "Multi-Component Fe-Ni Hydroxide Nanocatalyst for Oxygen Evolution and Methanol Oxidation Reac-tions under Alkaline Conditions," ACS Catalysis, 2017, 7, 365-379. Link
19. B.D. Briggs, J.P. Palafox-Hernandez, Y. Li, C.-K. Lim, T.J. Woehl, N.M. Bedford, S. Seifert, M.T. Swihart, P.N. Prasad, T.R. Walsh, and M.R. Knecht, "Toward a Modular Multi-material Nanoparticle Synthesis and Assembly Strategy via Bionanocombinatorics: Bifunctional Peptides for Linking Au and Ag Nanomaterials," Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2016, 18, 30845-30856. Link.
18. N.M. Bedford, A.R. Schowalter, T.J. Woehl, Z.E. Hughes, S. Lee, B. Reinhart, S.P. Ertem, E.B. Coughlin, Y. Ren, T.R. Walsh, B.A. Bunker, "Peptide-Directed PdAu Nanoscale Surface Segregation: Toward Controlled Bimetallic Architecture for Catalytic Materials," ACS Nano 2016, 10, 8645–8659. Link
13. T.J. Woehl* and T. Prozorov, “The Mechanisms for Nanoparticle Surface Diffusion and Chain Self-Assembly Determined from Real-Time Nanoscale Kinetics in Liquid,” The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2015, 119, 21261-21269.
12. C. Park, T.J. Woehl, J.E. Evans, N.D. Browning, “Minimum Cost Multi-way Data Association for Optimizing Multitarget Tracking of Interacting Objects,” IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 2015, 37, 611-624.
11. T.J. Woehl, B.J. Chen, K.L. Heatley, N.H. Talken, S.C. Bukosky, C.S. Dutcher, W.D. Ristenpart, “Bifurcation in the Steady-State Height of Colloidal Particles Near an Electrode in Oscillatory Electric Fields: Evidence for a Tertiary Potential Minimum,” Physical Review X, 2015, 5, 011023.
10. S. Kashyap, T.J. Woehl, X. Liu, S. Mallapragada, T. Prozorov, “Nucleation of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Mediated by Mms6 Protein In Situ,” ACS Nano, 2014, 8, 9097-9106.
9. T.J. Woehl, K.L. Heatley, N.H. Talken, C.S. Dutcher, W.D. Ristenpart, “Electrolyte Dependent Aggregation of Colloidal Particles Near Electrodes in Oscillatory Electric Fields,” Langmuir 2014, 30, 4887-4894.
8. T.J. Woehl, S. Kashyap, E. Firlar, T. Perez-Gonzalez, D. Faivre, D. Trubitsyn, D.A. Bazylinski, T. Prozorov, “Correlative Electron and Fluorescence Microscopy of Magnetotactic Bacteria in Liquid: Toward In Vivo Imaging,” Scientific Reports, 2014, 4.
7. S. Kashyap, T.J. Woehl, C. Valverde-Tercedor, M. Sanchez-Quesada, C. Jiminez Lopez, T. Prozorov, “Visualization of iron-binding micelles in acidic recombinant biomineralization protein, MamC,” Journal of Nanomaterials 2014, 2014.
6. P. Abellan, T.J. Woehl, L.R. Parent, N.D. Browning, J.E. Evans, I. Arslan, “Factors influencing quantitative liquid (scanning) transmission electron microscopy,” Chemical Communications, 2014, 50, 4873-4880. *Featured on back cover, See highlight at phys.org
5. T.J. Woehl, C. Park, J.E. Evans, I. Arslan, W.D. Ristenpart, N.D. Browning, “Direct Observation of Aggregative Nanoparticle Growth: Kinetic Modeling of the Size Distribution and Growth Rate,” Nano Letters 2013, 14, 373-378. *See highlight on DOE website
4. C.S. Dutcher†, T.J. Woehl†, N.H. Talken, W.D. Ristenpart, “Hexatic-to-Disorder Transition in Colloidal Crystals Near Electrodes: Rapid
Annealing of Polycrystalline Domains,” Physical Review Letters 2013, 6, 128302. †Equal author contribution
3. T.J. Woehl, K.L. Jungjohann, J.E. Evans, I. Arslan, W.D. Ristenpart, N.D. Browning, “Experimental procedures to mitigate electron beam induced artifacts during in situ imaging of nanomaterials,” Ultramicroscopy 2013, 127, 53-63. *Top 25 cited Ultramicroscopy article since 2011.
2. T.J. Woehl,* J.E. Evans, I. Arslan, W.D. Ristenpart, N.D. Browning, “Direct in situ determination of the mechanisms controlling nanoparticle nucleation and growth,” ACS Nano 2012, 6, 8599-8610. *Featured on the October ACS Nano Podcast
1. L.R. Parent, D.B. Robinson, T.J. Woehl, W.D. Ristenpart, J.E. Evans, N.D. Browning, I. Arslan, “Direct in situ observation of nanoparticle synthesis in a liquid crystal surfactant template,” ACS Nano 2012, 6, 3589-3596.
17. T.J. Woehl* and R.R. Keller, “Dark-Field Image Contrast in Transmission Scanning Electron Microscopy: Effects of Substrate Thickness and Detector Collection Angle,” Ultramicroscopy 2016, 171, 166-176.
16. R. Wagner†, T.J. Woehl†, R.R. Keller, J.P. Killgore, “Detection of Atomic Force Microscopy Cantilever Displacement with a Transmitted Electron Beam,” Applied Physics Letters 2016, 109, 043111.
†Equal author contribution
15. T.J. Woehl,* R.M. White, R.R. Keller, “Dark-Field Scanning Transmission Ion Microscopy via Detection of Forward Scattered Helium Ions with a Multichannel Plate,” Microscopy & Microanalysis 2016, 22, pp. 544-550.
14. D.A. Welch, T.J. Woehl, C. Park, R. Faller, J.E. Evans, N.D. Browning, “Understanding the Role of Solvation Forces on the Preferential Attachment of Nanoparticles in Liquid,” ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 181 – 187.
1. T.J. Woehl and T. Prozorov, "Future Prospects for Biomolecular, Biomimetic and Biomaterials Research Enabled by New Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy Techniques" Chapter 23 in Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy, ed. Frances Ross, New York, NY: Cambridge UP, 2016. Link
2. P. Abellan and T.J. Woehl, "Liquid Cell Electron Microscopy for the Study of Growth Dynamics of Nanomaterials and Structure of Soft Matter" in In-situ Characterization Techniques for Nanomaterials, Vol. 8, Springer Press, 2018. Link
1. T.J. Woehl, R.B. Wagner, J. Kilgore, R.R. Keller, "Electron Vibrometer and Determining Displacement of a Cantilever," US 10,060,946 B2, 2018. Link.
2. T.J. Woehl, M. Wang, "Electrochemical measurement of electron beam-induced pH change during liquid cell electron microscopy," US 11,264,199 B2, 2022. Link.